Thursday, January 29, 2009

So, those bits of song?

There seems to be a gene that was passed from my father, to me and then to my younger daughter, that causes us to sporadically sing about what we are doing. As in- I'm going to the washer and I'm gonna do the laundry- (Chapel of Love, anyone?) Sort of an operatic tic. It would be so much nicer if I could actually carry a tune.

I'm having back problems right now with spasms that stop me in my tracks. Today when I was picking up clothes and ended up on my knees, I thought of the Kinks singing Lola. But that's normal. I think everyone has song lines pop into their heads that match the current situation... right?...don't they?

Both daughters share my love of musicals, although the older one likes Les Mis and Miss Saigon, and the younger one Avenue Q and Dr. Horrible. We all agree that Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is great, as is Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

I think it started with Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood and his operas. The kids and I loved them! Bubble land, Wicked Knife and Fork, and the cow who wanted to be a potato bug, potato bug! Never too early to expose children to the finer things in life.

No comments: