Sunday, November 1, 2009

Recipe, per request

I had several requests for the apple square recipe after posting this so here it is. After making these a few times I wrote down the approximate amounts I used, so results may vary. For an average cookie sheet(with sides) of 11 x 15, I use two batches of 2-crust pie dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup plus 2 tbs of shortening
4-6 tbs of cold water

Either divide it in two and roll each part into a square, overlapping in the pan, or roll it into a rectangle and cover the bottom in one fell swoop. Add apples to fill it and mix the second batch for the top. Bake at 450 30-40 minutes, or until it looks done.

I use enough apples  to almost fill my 2 1/2 qt bowl- about 6 large apples maybe? If I use Macintosh, I add some Granny Smiths to the mix- this week I used all Cortlands. Add:
1-1 1/4 cup sugar, depending on taste
1/3 cup flour
dash of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

I mix all of that to the cut apples and let them sit while I make the dough. It makes a nice juicy mix.

After cooling, cut into squares which will stand up pretty well to traveling in a baggie for lunch.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

Paige Lacey said...

Can't wait to try this!