Thursday, December 31, 2009

Checking in

Been busy, but I feel as though I should acknowledge the end of the year, and start of another. And is this the end of the decade, since it started with 2000, or was it 2001, so 2010 will end the decade?  I mean, I do know that a decade is ten years, but we had no year 0, right? so 10 was the first decade, which means 2011 starts the next one. It doesn't matter anyway, because I believe the popular belief is that January 1st starts the 'teens'.  Enough of this gibberish!  On to Christmas- the one we just had, that is.

It was a good one. The visiting in RI was a bit hectic, and since only Ameranth spent the night, we felt like we didn't get to see enough of our chil'ns.  We did get to meet Sectaurs' lady friend, who is very nice, and acted as though she was not at all overwhelmed by meeting both sides of his family. She was introduced to roughly 35 people at 3 houses in 5 hours. And that's about half of the family we have. She has none, so quite a difference.

I did get some new earrings, so have had a few adventures there. Wouldn't you think that after 6 months, they would be completely healed? Yes, I would too, but they aren't.  Not to be too graphic, but it's unsettling when the post doesn't slide through to the back, but gets lost in the cartilage (is that even cartilage in the ear lobe?) and wanders in circles. Ameranth refused to help me out, even though I reminded her that I had done it for her years ago.  Anyway, I successfully changed them myself today and now sport yellow turtles.

J gave me a neat decoration:




Isn't that pretty? I think it will go on our porch wall this summer. (The body is about a foot long)  Ms M gave me a waffle iron, so I can now indulge once in a while and Sectaurs can keep the one he borrowed 3 years ago. This one is better anyway, but don't tell him. He doesn't read this, since he says he shouldn't have to look online to see what his mother is doing, so I can say anything I want to about him! :)

We are starting the new year off with a 3-4 day snowstorm, so there will be lots of relaxing time, interspersed with bouts of snow shoveling-and-blowing. We parked the cars in the widest part of the driveway, which is a pain to clear, hoping the snow in that area to a minimum.  We have gas for the blower and the generator- we know we'll need the former, and hope not to use the latter. We are in the area forecast to get the lion's share of the snowfall, so we will see how that plays out.

Best of wishes for the New Year!

Oh, oh! I had to edit this. I forgot to mention that J got me a new camera!  A little Canon, in a pretty pale pink. Now, as Ameranth said, I don't have to have everyone hold still for 7 seconds while my old camera slooowly clicked in.  (It was a hand-me-down and I loved having a digital camera, but now I have a better one, so I  gave it to my parents to play with).

No comments: