Friday, May 6, 2011

What a dingdong!

Why did I find myself singing this earlier?

Clang, clang, clang went the trolley
Ding, ding, ding went the bell
Zing, zing, zing went my heartstrings
From the moment I saw him I fell

Well, we have a string of 3 bells on our door, so we- and the dogs- are alerted whenever it's opened. (They were actually Christmas decorations years ago and we liked them, so they stayed) I started to go out this morning to get the paper and Boomer went on high alert. But, I saw the cats waiting outside and I went to the other door to feed them before letting the dog out. Hence the bell song.

By the time I brushed my teeth I had segued into a different tune:

Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead.
Wake up - sleepy head, rub your eyes, get out of bed.
Wake up, the Wicked Witch is dead. She's gone where the goblins go,
Below - below - below. Yo-ho, let's open up and sing and ring the bells out.
Ding Dong! the merry-oh, sing it high, sing it low.

When I realized the connection my mind immediately hopped again. I could have gone two ways, but I didn't pick the Judy Garland trail, choosing to go straight to Chuck Berry instead.

Oh my ding a ling, Everybody sing
I wanna play with my ding a ling a ling
Oh my ding a ling, my ding a ling
I wanna play with my ding a ling a ling.

Hmm, how many other songs do I know with dinging in them? Not many. The only other one was:

Ding dong merrily on high,
In heaven the bells are ringing.

Oops, now I'm singing this one:

All the chapel bells were ringing
In the little valley town
And the songs that they were singing
Was for baby Jimmy Brown


You wanna stop the madness.
Stop the madness now
Stop the madness
Stop the madness now.

PS. Check out  this video - I think it's safe to say it is the only music video you'll see with Nancy Reagan, David Hasselhoff and Arnold Schwarzeneggar making appearances.

PPS. You don't have to thank me for the earworm music!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too Funny! Now that Wizard of Oz Song is stuck in my head! :)

Wendy said...

I've got the Wizard of Oz in my head now too. So funny! I have alarms on all my doors (my youngest used to take himself out on adventures), so I don't hear music when I open the door. If it's early enough in the morning and I'm not read for it, I usually just jump out of my skin!