Friday, January 14, 2011

Delurkers Welcome

I am here to tell you that someone decided this is National Delurking Day, which means every blog reader is encouraged to leave a comment today. No prizes for doing so, strictly peer pressure.
Unfortunately, that means I need to write something that can elicit said comment(s).

Let's see....my trip to the endodontist yesterday started off great. I walked in at 8:25 congratulating myself for being early and the receptionist said she had expected me at 8. I wrote the date and time on the calendar while I was on the phone with her and the last thing I said was "okay, I will see you at 8:30 on the 13th" so I was 99.9% sure the error was not on my end. She glanced at her official computer schedule and sweetly remarked "Isn't that strange?" and insisted it made no difference. Maybe not, but 5 minutes later she was sticking a sharp proby thing into my abscessed gum. Coincidence? I think not.

Then we needed X-rays. Several X-rays. She was finally happy after angling the raygun part into my cheek with the plastic target circle jammed into my eyelid "That's right, keep your eye closed"- It was impossible to move it, thank you very much.

To cut to the chase, the Dr. said there's been bone loss and the infection is at the gumline and the only way to see if there is a fracture is surgery, blah blah, cadaver bone, blah blah, 50/50 odds that the tooth can't be saved, blah, blah $1300.

I will be going for option 2, removal of said tooth, and was told that I needed to decide before having it out whether I wanted an implant or bridge.  I didn't tell her that I would be choosing "hole".

Later, our friendly mechanic told us it was a seal that was responsible for our oil leak. Of course half the engine has to be removed to get to it to see exactly what needs to be replaced so it's not a cheap fix. The good news is that it's not the head gasket which J gloomily predicted it would be.  We hope to get that done in a week or so. After the money magically appears in our bank account to pay for it.

Oh, and the harmonic balance needs to be fixed at the same time. I don't know what that is, but it sounds like a damn good thing to have working.  Can my life get a new harmonic balance? It would be so worth it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy De-lurking Day! :)

Ouch, it does not sound like a fun trip to the dentist!

Molly said...

When I read "harmonic balance" I instantly thought of a harmonica (of course) and then pictured you, Kelly and Dad sitting around in overalls playing harmonicas and being quite happy about it. Dad had a piece of straw in his mouth. I made myself laugh.