Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrate Earth Day

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves." - Anna Quindlen 

I saw this quote on  Cid's blog today and totally stole it. All of my kids inherited a love of books and reading from me and packrat qualities from both of us. Results are homes filled with books and crowded cases. Sectaurs and Ro (I hereby give his ladyfriend her own blog name) are consolidating households and the biggest "problem" is finding a compromise with book storage in a small house. He likes all of his available to read at any time, hence will double stack his shelves. She alphabetizes by author and is strictly a one layer girl. Plus, who boxes up the duplicate copies they own?

Ms. M and Mr. C. bought a house with lovely built-in bookcases, promptly filled them up and needed more stand alone storage. Ameranth has books stored at Sectaurs and upstairs, and Shoeshine is a sucker for collections. I am content.

On to my original topic planned- Earth Day of course. I was in high school for the first Earth Day-is it really the 40th anniversary?-and my history teacher planned activities for us. My memory is hazy, but I believe it involved picking up trash.  I'm not an activist and don't get involved in big ways or organizations, but I do not litter. We recycle, compost and try not to plant invasive species, at least not on purpose. Our children are also environmentally responsible, to varying degrees, so good for us!  We read and we care about our world, two important character traits in my book. (Ha, no pun intended)


I am off to wander my yard and do some weeding if the mood strikes me. It's a beautiful spring day here, and I hope you get a chance to enjoy some outdoors where you are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Earth Day!

I am hoping that like yours, my children will grow up to be environmentally responsible and avid readers.

Eileen Rhoadarmer said...

Our living room is a library: 5 bookshelves, plus a smaller one that holds scrapbooks--and we could fill more, but the wall only goes so far. That's one consideration as we buy a new house, does it have a room for the TV and a room for the books?

My Earth Day was pretty eventful, but it's probably better described by the blog post I made:
http://sciencefictionmommy.blogspot.com/2010/04/happy-earth-day-and-epic-mommy-fail.html

Cheers!